stuffy mirafone?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on February 28, 2002 at 12:14:14:

I returned to playing recently after a lonnnggg absence. Bought a vitage late 70's 186 BBb from one of the list members and have been pretty happy with it.
In fact, I've been playing in the local concert band for a couple of months and having a load of fun.
However, as my "chops" return, I have noticed that this horn does seem a little unsteady in the upper reaches, and hitting Eb and F above the staff is a lot more work than it was on a BAT 25J back long ago. Part of that may be because I was playing a lot more then than the time I get to put in now between rehearsals, but I had another guy play it for me (who plays a lot more than I do) and he came away with the thought that it seemed hard to center and rather stuffy in the upper register.

I have no experience with Mirafones other than this one, so I can't really vouch for his opinion. Age of the horn might also be a factor. I'm enjoying playing it, and it's otherwise very responsive. However, I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this with 186's.

Thanks!

Follow Ups: