Re: High Register Demons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on February 25, 2002 at 16:07:24:

In Reply to: High Register Demons posted by Arnold on February 25, 2002 at 14:46:58:

I played this piece while I was at USC. I think the thing that helped the most was getting a recording and listening to the few bars before the solo over and over again until you can hear the first E every time. If it helps, I believe the E is a dominant seventh of a F# major chord. After the first entrance, make sure you don't play too soft, otherwise you will miss those huge leaps every time. Blow a little more as you are slurring to help you hit those intervals. Good luck with this. I had a tough time with the solo initially, but practicing with a recording really helped and the conductor (who had directed this piece 3 times before) said the performance was the best he'd ever heard it. Oh, and take several big long breaths before you play the solo and try to release all of that nervous energy. This is your moment to shine and so you should look forward to it, don't be intimidated by it. Email me if you want to talk further about it.

Scott

Follow Ups: