Re: What Mouthpiece and Why.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on February 21, 2002 at 18:54:54:

In Reply to: What Mouthpiece and Why. posted by Tracy B. on February 21, 2002 at 11:45:06:

I use a Schilke Hellberg II and the Conn Hellberg. I like them because of the flat rim and sharp inner edge for better accuracy, flexibility, and the funnel-shaped cup for the fantastic sound. It (the funnel shape) is commonly associated with the American sound, the bowl shape with the German sound. Different combos of mp's and horns (and players) produce different sounds, but that is a common stereotype/association. I don't have a marathon mouthpiece. It's not necessary, except for those who may not be able to practice as much as they would like. SIDE BAR: (A peeve I have with my students and some others) This is true for all but need not apply to recreational players or players with certain conditions. I believe that a player should use just enough pressure to make a seal on the mp, no more, no less. AND always practice that way. Practice no-pressure in all registers, dynamics, etc. Lots of airy sounds at first, but you will be surprised at the agility AND ENDURANCE you will gain. One of the groups I play with plays a church picnic in August every year for seven hours. Thirty minutes for lunch, three fifteen minute breaks. 105 degrees 98 percent humidity (typical South Texas summer). I play the SHII all day and never get tired to the point I wish I had a different mp. I'm no Superman, I just practice what was preached to me, and what I now preach to others. If a person plays a lot, practices a lot, etc., wanting or needing a round comfort is illogical. Yes, they do feel good if you play with a lot of pressure, but not necessary. The advantages of playability of flat rims/sharp inner edges far outweighs the comfort issue with round rims. Just my opinion. It works for me and most everyone I know. I may get flamed, but I think most will understand the logic. Whew! Now I feel better.

Doc

Follow Ups: