Re: not _her_ AGAIN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 06, 2002 at 10:36:33:

In Reply to: not _her_ AGAIN posted by lesley on February 05, 2002 at 23:52:33:

Many recommend Hagerty's spray silver polish, and I like it, too. But I like Wenol even better, and it works about as well on bare brass. It has no abrasive, but it will remove tarnish and polish up anything that is already smooth.

For lacquer, I use Lemon Pledge, sprayed first on a cloth.

Some people hold and carry their silver horns wearing white cotton gloves, but I'd rather have an ugly tuba than do that! It might not be too inconvenient for when you are carrying the bell. A loose towel in each hand is easier and works just as well. I would clean off fingerprints with a clean cloth and a bit of soap-based jewelry cleaner, if needed. No need to polish metal off the horn just to clean off fingerprints.

Someone will also suggest that once polished, a certain cloth kept inside the case will prevent most future tarnish, by acting as a sacrificial anode, but I can't remember the name of the product.

Dissolved silver tarnish will turn your fingers black in ways that really challenge soap, so if you don't want to look like a garage mechanic, use latex gloves when polishing.

Vodka always helps to dissolve the tarnish inside your throat, but use at your own risk.

Rick "who looks like a garage mechanic" Denney

Follow Ups: