Re: getting prepared to buy 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 26, 2001 at 10:12:24:

In Reply to: getting prepared to buy 6/4 posted by Tim on February 26, 2001 at 08:24:18:

Unless you are hired to play in an orchestra or just love looking at it and tootin' on it (which I certainly understand), you might give this purchase one more evaluation for feasablility.

Admittedly, I DO NOT NEED a 6/4 tuba, BUT I AM BUILDING MYSELF ANOTHER ONE ANYWAY - so I have NO room to "talk" here (except to advise "Don't do as I do, but [maybe] do as I say." ??)

If you are making $6K to $160K a year playing symphony orchestra concerts, you could say that you might "need" this thing. Otherwise, perhaps you "want" it:

- It is probably too resonant and umbrella-like in its sound for most church orchestra gigs (cain't hear "dem basses" back dere).
- You may not find yourself using it very often for brass quintet nor for solo use.
- It would be great in a concert band or brass band, particularly if you are the only tuba player, but many band engagements are "freebie" and this tuba purchase is NOT "freebie".
- Most community orchestras do not have enough or "strong enough" strings (nor brass) to properly balance with a jumbo tuba when you "crank" it.

The jumbo CC tuba is definitely a specialty tuba which does its best work under a limited set of circumstances. Enjoy it, sport it, and good luck with the shopping. I just can't help throwing a few "stop and think"s on someone when they talk about firing a bunch of money out of their wallet at a Porsche,'vette, $$$$$$ collectable, etc.

Joe "Money only spends ONCE, but you certainly CAN go ahead and GET that Harley-Davidson, or WHATEVER (even a jumbo tuba) ' cause life IS short." S.

Follow Ups: