What's REALLY in you CD player?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Carl L on February 21, 2001 at 10:52:17:

Well, going through the "What's In Your CD player?" discussion, I counted a couple Parrot Heads ("Pirate Looks At Forty" says it all), one Allison Krause (fiddle diva), a smattering of Alan Parsons ("Wake Me, Shake Me", a top ten of all time), ONE country Western (Keith, described as a "dead guy"...) and a truckload of clasical works. Now, granted, I am a Bluegrass banjo picker and fiddler as well as a tuba guy...but doesn't ANYBODY out there listen to Country or Bluegrass? Hey, hey, put the flamethrowers down. I love Sheridon and Big Gene as much as the rest of you. But if you like a tight, driving rhythm might I suggest listening to The Dillards? Pick up a Ricky Skaggs and check out his riffing on "I'm Just A Country Boy". If you love clean vocals, check out any Ricky Van Shelton.
I know this is a tuba BBS. But isn't the musical experience all about diversity? If you are looking for a good flick to see this weekend there's a little jem out there, "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?" Besides being good, clean entertainment, the music is incredible.
To summerize,there is absolutely nothing wrong with six cuts of Mahler in you player. I am simply proposing a less myopic stance, a broadening of the musical senses, an experimentation with other forms out there. Give, say, Marty Robbins a listen- then, if you're convinced it was all a waste of your time, well, go load up that CD with Pokorny, Self, Sheridon, etc. O.K. Rick, Aubrey, Joe, etc...let me have it.

Follow Ups: