HEY! DOES ANYBODY NEED A

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 15, 2001 at 22:27:27:

really nice used Miraphone model 188 5-valve CC tuba?

This one was bought back in the mid-1980's (used in new condition) from Roger Rocco in Chicago by my recently-deceased friend. He took very good care of it. There are only a few minor dents and a bit of minor dezinctification. All of the rotors spin very nicely, and I'm cleaning it out before it gets shipped off to the high bidder on ebay.

The 5-valve model 188 is arguably Miraphone's best CC rotary tuba effort. The bell section and all of the tapered branches are fatter than those on the 186 model, but inspite of the fact the the 186 model's intonation is excellent, the 188 model's intonation is even better and more flexible. The Miraphone 188 tuba's tone quality is an excellent compromise between "German" and "American", and this is indeed a versatile instrument. The bore size is .770" and the final bell diameter is 17 3/4".

Included is a very nice (again used/new condition) Pro-Tec bag, and a few other goodies: Marcinkiewicz H1 mouthpiece, collapsable stand, and a Rochut "Melodious Etudes for Trombone" book II.

I have seen VERY FEW used 188's offered for sale on this bbs, and I don't remember seeing ANY of these (??) on ebay. However, I've seen QUITE a few INQUIRIES here asking if someone HAS one of these for sale... Well, here IS one. :-)

If "new", this tuba (at current internet-competitive prices) would cost you about $6200 with the included stuff. We are inviting an opening bid ("NO RESERVE") for around the new price of the "student" model (with only 4 valves) Miraphone 186: $3995 - including the nice bag and other stuff.

I'm sure that Jack's widow needs the revenue from the sale of this tuba to help cover hospital and funeral expenses, so please bid enthusiastically (up to what it is worth to you). I've put it on a 10-day auction, to give you a good chance to get pre-qualified for a loan, to beg your parents, or to do whatever you need to do.

Thanks,

-Joe

Follow Ups: