Re: Women in orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rare Bird on February 12, 2001 at 19:34:37:

In Reply to: Women in orchestras posted by Cheryl on February 12, 2001 at 14:34:43:

Hi Tubenetters,

My name is Carolyn Johns. My position is principal tuba in the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra (Opera Australia). Our orchestra's role is to serve the Opera and Ballet Companies' requirements. The orchestra operates for 11 months a year (usually performing in the Opera Theatre within the Sydney Opera House). I joined the orchestra in 1987.

The only other low brass player I can think of with a position in an Australian Oerchestra is Geraldine Evers, who is bass trombone in the State Orchestra of Victoria (the Melbourne-based sister orchestra, serving the Opera and Ballet companies).

There are several other Aussie pro female colleagues/freelancers/ex-pats, players of trumpet/trombone/tuba whom I respect greatly, but there's no doubt about it, we're talking Minority with a capital M.

Gee, I almost overlooked horn, where female pros are actually not that rare at all! -- So to include them would skew my statistics too much :-)

I also frequently have the opportunity to work in the jazz/blues fields, where it is also a bit of a "men's club".

Carolyn "always receiving apologies when male colleagues tell sexist jokes" Johns

Follow Ups: