Re: Big Tuba Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 03, 2001 at 18:58:01:

In Reply to: Big Tuba Question posted by Curious on February 03, 2001 at 17:23:27:

I like the Willson 3050 CC. (I would probably buy one, if I wasn't always trying to "make" myself a CC tuba.)

I like the (new) Meinl Weston "MILLENIUM" 2155 tuba. (This opinion is based on the ONE of these that I have played. I do NOT like the "standard issue" 2155.)

I like Meinl Weston 2165 tubas that were made later. The early ones (to me) played like kazoos (not enough resistance).

I am not a Cerveny nor Kalison fan. I can never find anything about these tubas that entices me to keep them on my lap for more that a moment or so.

None of the three tubas that I recommended above (which you mentioned in your post) are obtainable in your price range. The Willson is just below $9K, the Millenium 2155 is about $11K, and I'm sure that the 2165 is around the same price.

I am not well-versed regarding the playability of the larger B&S/V.M.I./Per'tucci instruments. I would think that "used" models of those, however, might drift down into your budget.

Follow Ups: