Re: Re: Re: Out of touch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 02, 2001 at 13:55:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Out of touch posted by Anthony on February 02, 2001 at 13:22:14:

I want to temper your comments with the assurance that I don't think the kids I'm talking about are completely unappreciative. They understand the privelege they've been granted, and the kid who plays the Hirsbrunner is a really fine player. Yes, he has some attitude, but he backed it up in rehearsal, it seemed to me.

I suspect that his private lessons have made a much bigger difference than his old Hirsbrunner. I'm more envious of that than anything else, but I have to admit that I would not have appreciated them when I was his age, either. On the other hand, nobody explained to me just how much I should have appreciated such things.

I still wonder what would have happened if someone (a band director, perhaps) had called my parents and persuaded them to give me private lessons (which, I'm sure they would have done had it been sold to them properly), and then explained to me how much I should appreciate it. The expectations were different then.

Rick "not really that green" Denney

Follow Ups: