Painted Horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on February 29, 2000 at 00:13:18:

I've been asked to post this question on behalf of a co-worker who is also an accomplished airbrush artist.

He was wondering about the effects of a very light coating of airbrushed paint on a brass instrument, and how it would effect the sound, or if it would. We're talking about an extremely light coating. (I have seen an XXL t-shirt that he did with less than a teaspoon of paint). Also if the horn would have to be stripped down to raw brass first. Or possibly substituting laquer impregnated with pigment in lieu of paint.

He is considering experimenting with custom work of this sort, and wanted to know if there would be any type of market for such a personalization of a horn. I don't see it for the "serious" players, but maybe someone in a weekend polka band, or something like that would be interested. Bear in ind that I'm not talking about some hack that paints flames down the sides of vans as a day job. This gentleman has a very keen artistic eye and aesthetic, and any job would be treated as a piece of artwork.

Opinions?

Follow Ups: