Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by doubler on February 21, 2000 at 21:42:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Civic posted by HS on February 21, 2000 at 21:18:35:

You say 'money-hungry' like it's a bad thing. People charge the going rate (see any economics text under 'supply and demand') for their services. I sure do! I'd be thrilled to see that my instructor was doing so well, because it would speak volumes about how good they are (don't let anyone kid you, money IS ONE of the best yardsticks of excellence in this country. Not perfect, and certainly not a good yardstick of the IMPORTANCE of a job, but as good as any way I know of comparing excellence within any one field).

Again, it comes down to this: musicians spend many years training for their craft, and deserve to be compensated according to the demand for their abilities. If a player spends 20 years mastering the tuba, and earns a professorship or orchestra gig, where the competition is stiff and the demands are high, why shouldn't he be compensated for his achievement? And if he has a limited amount of time to give lessons, and cannot take on every player that can cough up $25, why not use supply and demand to set the price? And if, after supplying himself with the tools of my trade, he can afford a luxury like a nice car (musicians tend to spend a LOT of time behind the wheel) why is that a problem?

Things cost what they cost. You just have to accept this, because wishing things were different won't make it so.

Follow Ups: