6/4 Holton CC at auction on eBay

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Tucker on February 17, 2000 at 14:55:05:

6/4 CC Holton, 4 pistons, 1 rotary

20" bell, .750/.835 bore, 5th rotary located past the main slide

Tight, non-stick pistons with 100% nickel-plating integrity

Satin Silver plating with high-polish silver on bell interior

Conversion of a Holton 3-valve model 340 BBb produced in 1960. The conversion was done by Joe Sellmansberger and it's craftsmanship is superb. Here is a quote of Joe's own description of the horn:

"I do not find the pitch problems on this instrument to be any more difficult to deal with than the Hirsbrunner version, Meinl-Weston version, the Culbertson thing, or the York (which Mr. Pokorny let me toot on for a few minutes down in the locker room, once). The sound of this Holton is absolutely monstrous, commanding, and majestic. I DO NOT get the TONE and MAJESTIC SOUND out of the Europe-originated York copies that I get out of this 1960 American-made Holton. ...this IS a conversion from a BBb. I spent hours fabricating laminated hard maple mandrels to re-taper the bore of the shortened branches of this tuba to make everything acoustically smooth and logical. I also took great pains to route the conical branches as near to exactly like the York as possible. I also copied the real York mouthpipe bend angles and routing, not with a replacement pipe, but by re-bending the original Holton pipe. Another nice 'extra' is the double-roller system that I designed and installed on the fifth rotor thumb spatula. This mechanism allow the spatula to roll along your thumb as you depress it, rather than getting hung on your skin and impeding quick action."

I do not have extensive experience with a multitude of 6/4 horns, but colleauges of mine that have played this horn and have such experience echo Joe's remark about it's comparison with other 6/4's. The sound is HUGE, but the response is quick and suprisingly nimble. Typical 6/4 intonation quirks do exist but are easily remedied by a few alternate fingerings and expertly lapped vertical tuning slides.

"Why am I selling?" you ask. Currently, this is my ONLY horn. I had visions of purchasing a smaller CC or Eb to compliment it, but my wife and I are expecting our first child in three months. Plans have changed! :) I need a good all-around 4/4 CC as an exclusive instrument, so my baby must find a new home. Believe me, it's a tough decision.

This horn is at auction on eBay and pictures are available there. This horn will make someone very happy! Good luck!

David Tucker
tubadave(AT)mindspring.com

Follow Ups: