Re: Re: Re: Looking for a cheap metronome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on February 06, 2000 at 23:50:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Looking for a cheap metronome posted by Tulsa Band Instruments on February 04, 2000 at 19:37:20:

I am a music store owner, and I DON'T think that the huge catalog places (not really that huge - stockwise, usually, by the way...just big catalogs) sell a lot of seconds. I get sent horns that I would call "seconds" sometimes (represented by the manufacturers as "A" merchandise) and send them back. The "big" places are probably shipped the same crap, but don't catch it. I think that they are just extremely price competitive, and, having not nearly enough repair people on staff to back up their large volume of sales, they (I guess) are relying on "local" schmucks to be their off-site repair departments. This savings in social security, unemployment insurance, health insurance subsidies, retirement, shipping, etc. ALSO keeps their overhead down.

I can often match, occasionally beat, and usually come very close to those places' prices. However from my side of the counter, this is the type of CUSTOMER that I have not the time for:

"Uh, hi. I bought this Willson euphonium at Woodwind & Brasswind a few months ago. You had quoted me a lower price, but by the time I figured in the sales tax [which is actually legally owed no matter what, but usually skirted], I decided to get it from them, instead of from you. I REALLY do APPRECIATE you explaining the differences to me between the 2900 model and the 2950 model...etc., etc.,...Well, I have a couple of dents in it now, it needs a good cleaning, I broke this latch, and the first valve sticks. I need to audition for the university wind ensemble tomorrow, and am going shopping for about an hour. Can I pick it up after I am through at Super Walmart? I REALLY don't want my ice cream to melt..."

My answer: "Sir, did you, by any chance, save the box that it came in?"

Follow Ups: