Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro players on Tubenet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on December 31, 2003 at 00:12:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pro players on Tubenet posted by Soooo... on December 29, 2003 at 05:09:49:

Personally, when I think of the term "professional musician", it's the definition I described earlier -- that it's someone who earns a decent living primarily by playing. When I think of a teacher, or an instrument repairman, and their primary income is from teaching or repairing, that's how I would categorize them even if they earn some extra cash with the occasional paying gigs. Even my parents earn checks once in a while for performances, and they simply treat music as a hobby.

Maybe I see it more like this -- that a music teacher is more in the category of "teacher", a music store owner is more "salesman", an instrument repairman is "repairman" (or maybe "blacksmith"), and they're all associated with the diverse world of music. When I hear the word "musician", I picture someone with an instrument in hand.

Is that limiting? Well, yeah, but I'm not going to say that someone who earns their keep by playing and can do a little bit of soldering work qualifies as a bona fide instrument repairman.

Follow Ups: