Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by no name on December 19, 2003 at 01:31:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by Rick Denney on December 18, 2003 at 11:33:25:

Rick you are right college is not job training and thats kind of my point. You cant get an orchestra job because you have a Music Performance degree. But, you CAN get one without one. You can also get any other kind of job you want with or without a degree. I guess my point was exactly that. Why there is a huge business of recruiting music majors when there are no jobs for them is a mystery except to keep schools in business. We could do with a few conservatories in the US. A huge offering of music schools has not saved orchestras or even basic music appreciation in the US much less get people jobs. Im not saying that the students dont get a music education, they do. But to leave masters school with 50,000 dollars in student loans and then spend more money to cross train into a real job or worse work in a record store and do parade gigs the next ten years is a little more sacrifice than I think most people bargain for at the outset. We are not priests consigned to a vow of poverty. It seems to be a parade of the stupid or the completely committed Im not sure which. I wouldnt trade my music career for anything but I found a lucrative way out. My friends with doctors degrees and masters in performance are flipping burgers and on welfare at the age of 40+ due to their life long commitment. Not just a couple of them. ALL OF THEM. Yes I feel sorry for them, they were and still are better players than I was. No offense to musicians who feel playing is more important than money. I respect that. I just cant do it and not many people can or want to.
Why should they suffer so?

Follow Ups: