Re: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on December 18, 2003 at 10:04:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by no name on December 18, 2003 at 03:34:47:

You said: "Its like trying to catch Jacobs or Bobo on a bad day which I dont think ever happened."

Of course it did! Just not in a situation that made any difference. Their worst day is likely better than my best. All in the perspective.

After spending some time with Doug at ITEC in Greensboro, I can attest to what he is saying. He set me up with a mouthpiece that I would never in the world have considered, and gave me a few embouchure tips and pointers. Since that time, my endurance is better than it's ever been as well as my sound. By trying to work with an incorrect tool and technique, it was affecting the quality of my playing (which has never been particularly bad, just not what I wanted it to be, and certainly not world-class-still isn't). But it gave me an enjoyment of [b]MY[/b] sound that I hadn't had in many, many years.

My opinion (and I have no empirical evidence to back it up, just seems like common sense) is that having a session or two with an embouchure expert relatively early in one's career could likely prevent many distonia from forming. I don't feel like there is tension in my playing anymore. Having the right "tool" is a huge bonus, but having the proper, relaxed technique is the biggest difference.

The vast majority of teachers of beginning students don't realize that a tuba embouchure is very different from trombone or trumpet embouchures, and so don't have a clue how to teach it. So most kids don't get proper embouchure instruction until they have progressed to the point where they start taking lessons from someone that can teach it. But by then, it's like teaching a right-handed kid to write with their left hand - the fine muscle controls just aren't there. So they play "the old way" in between lessons, and reinforce what they have been doing all along because it's easier.

Doug, have you ever done or considered doing an embouchure development DVD series? Something that teaches teachers how to teach proper embouchures for the various brass instruments, and what the consequences of common embouchure problems are, including the eventuality of a possible dystonia? Seems like you'd be the guy to do it.

Follow Ups: