Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by no name on December 18, 2003 at 03:34:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by faulty ergonomics on December 18, 2003 at 02:48:02:

All that makes sense to "the rest of us". But when you are a symphony guru or an accomplished player with years of experience it's a hard argument to make. Its like trying to catch Jacobs or Bobo on a bad day which I dont think ever happened.

Try telling someone like Warren Deck to change his angle on the mouthpiece/leadpipe. This is someone who at one time played better than any of us on a consistent basis for years and yet ran into some problems. Warren is a hero of mine and Im not using his name to deride him. I have known enough top level players with the same problem that seems to defy the notion of universal "correctness" in embouchure, posture, and breathing.

I agree with Doug and others that there are probably physical factors of "incorrectness" that grind our playing down over time. Posture may be one factor.

I wonder though if the process of learning the instrument isnt lost in all this? The first "problem" a young brass student will experience is starting a note.

But when a young person experiences it - its not a "problem" its just a matter of course.

What causes this to persist in an accomplished world class player?

Follow Ups: