Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinions & suggestions, Please.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 29, 2002 at 23:41:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Opinions & suggestions, Please. posted by Jay Bertolet on December 29, 2002 at 22:10:50:

In my opinion, the VMI 2103 is "small" in a different sense than the Yamaha 621, Miraphone 184, or Lidl. Toting it around, up and down stairs, etc. is probably not different enough from what the OP is carrying around now.

I've played all of the horns mentioned, but I have long experience only with the 621. In my opinion it is exactly what this gentleman is looking for. The only question mark is if he wants to spend the $$ it will take to purchase. It's not an inexpensive tuba (and, on the other hand, it is in no sense "cheap".)

To my mind, the 621 can play "bigger" than the 184 or the Lidl. The VMI 2103 plays a bit bigger, but as noted above doesn't really cut down that much on size. It's also a bit on the "cheap" side (not much - but enough to notice).

The Weril clone of the 621 has (to me) the same feel of "cheap". The good news is that it's *very* inexpensive.

My advice is to start with the 621. If it's too expensive, but otherwise would do, I would proceed to either the Lidl or the Weril copy. If it plays too small, move on to the VMI 2103 and evaluate it's size and weight. I'm hard pressed to think of a combination of circumstances that makes the 184 the right choice (for this person!)

Yes, I realize that my choices will play smaller. It seems to me that the choice is either play smaller...or not play at all. None of the smaller horns are capable of carrying a large ensemble single handedly - but all will enable one to contribute to the section...and keep playing.

Follow Ups: