Re: Miraphone 1291 "Big Babe"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on December 28, 2002 at 15:32:23:

In Reply to: Miraphone 1291 "Big Babe" posted by Sam H. on December 27, 2002 at 13:10:28:

Sam,

I have the privillege of listening to the 1291 for 4 hours every week...I play with Chris B in both a British Brass Band and a Tuba Quartet. I've also played duets with him on his 1291. Chris is hell of a player, with a masters in Tuba perfomance (and conducting). Let me tell you, in the right hands, the 1291 really sings. He's currently playing a Marc H-1 on it, but is waiting on the Laskey 30, a combo which brings stunning clarity (he uses mine now, as I've switched to the 28). Projection wise, it's forceful but definitely not a 6/4 kind of sound. I think it's on par with the 2341 in this respect. I've heard him get a substantially bigger sound, on Keating's Falfner, for example. But, he played the Falfner before deciding to keep the 1291, if that tells you anything. Personally, where I think the horn really shines, is in it's mid and upper register, with a gorgeous, singing tone and a clarity that is really something special. Lightning fast response as well.

Ergonomics and valve action are the best I've yet encountered. Whoever figures out how these things should be laid out sure knows what they're doing, and clearly Miraphone has figured out how to make valves with good action.

I've played 3 really good new BBb designs in the last year...the 2341, the Fafner, and the 1291. I wouldn't blink for a second about buying any of them (yes, after play testing). Like I said, I hear the 1291 at least 4 hours a week, and I love it.

Tony

Follow Ups: