Re: Re: Re: Ho Ho Holton!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on December 23, 2002 at 21:42:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Ho Ho Holton! posted by Rick Denney on December 23, 2002 at 19:08:19:

I appreciate your insights. I have the opposite problem. My right eye doesn't work, so even though I am drooling over your Holton, unfortunately for me it would not work any better than the new Mirafone 191 5 valve I had, and lost a bundle on when I got rid of.

I agree, the 20J is a bit tough to really play soft. I played a 21J with the brass quintet in college, and it was manageable. The upright bell also seemed to take more push before the tone broke. I haven't really noticed the intonation problems on my horn - but maybe my tuner is so confused by my limited ability that it just gives up and points north.

Anyway, your description of the tone of the Holton in an earlier post really got my attention.

I am watching your 20J on ebay. I really don't need a 2nd one. But, one 20J is never enough if you can find a way to get another one. I will be watching, just in case they are all asleep at the switch, so don't worry, they won't steal it from you.

By the way, do you know anything about the Holton up at Dillons? It has upright valves, so it plays from the left, and so I could see around it to read music. They did not post a model number. And they indicate that it is raw brass.

Have fun with that new horn. And wishes for a great Holiday Season.

Follow Ups: