Re: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on December 22, 2002 at 00:30:51:

In Reply to: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice posted by Don Shirer on December 22, 2002 at 00:09:46:

Welcome back! I didn't play from 1968 until about four years ago. I always played Eb and always will. My first horn when I started playing again was a three valve upright Conn that was given to me by a friend. I have since acquired a dozen or so tubas and sousas... all Eb. I just purchased my third four valve horn. I am now stuck on four valved horns not necessarily because of the extended lower range, but because of the ease of the alternate fingerings and better intonation. You don't really find much community band type music writter lower that Bb below the staff. Oh... maybe an occassional 'A', but nothing that can't be transposted quickly on the lfy. I don't do any orchestral work and shy away from quintets. I tend to favor community band type music and also play with a German band. Our community band (which I founded three years ago) has spun off a 10 piece Dixieland group. Funny... I was inspired to 'get back into it' when I stumbled onto a TubaChristmas four hears ago at the mall. As far as what horn to get to start back... that's a toughie to advise. Three valve Eb tubas seem less expensive but Bb tubas are more plentiful. Obviously you will pay quite a bit more for a four valver in either key. Just pick one and 'go for it'.

Follow Ups: