Re: Re: Re: Re: tuabs (AT) cost

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 14, 2002 at 13:10:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: tuabs (AT) cost posted by TubaDude on December 12, 2002 at 13:15:40:

Since you mention this history, I have a Conn-Olds story.

On an auction site, I bought a curious instrument several months ago. The antique/junk dealer said he did not know what it was, which was just as well. I looked at the online photos, and couldn't figure it out, either. I though it looked somewhat like an Olds O-99 or the equivalent Conn.
When it arrived, it was immediately apparent why I couldn't identify it from small photos. Imagine an Olds valveset with Conn slides, branch tubing that could be either Conn or Olds, and braces and ferrules that were a mixture of Conn and Olds. The bell is a fixed upright, but at the point where the bell flair was brazed on during manufacturing, there is a thin ferrule soldered on the outside of the bell, a thin ring. There is no visible seam on the inside of the bell at that point. The bell says, CONN 11J, and that is all. The serial number on the valveset is from the very end of the Olds production, so I think Conn bought the Abilene factory from Olds when they ceased production, and used the left-over parts from Olds along with their own parts. For what it's worth, this horn sounds great. I think I should cut it to CC, and add an Olds 4th valve and a 5th rotor. If the Conn-Olds mixture works so well, why not take it to the max?

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: