Re: Re: Re: tuabs (AT) cost

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaDude on December 12, 2002 at 13:15:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: tuabs (AT) cost posted by Lee Stofer on December 12, 2002 at 08:25:56:

Hey All;

Just to add some history to this horn. I bought it from Musicians' Supply Shop in Los Angeles around 1981 or so. It was old back then. My brass man at the time, Larry Minick dated the horn back to the time when Conn had the Olds plant in Fullerton California producing their horns for them while they were moving their manufacting facility to produce the Mexi-Conns. So what you have is a Olds built Conn with Conn parts. Larry used to work at the Fullerton facility and when I brought the horn to his shop he said he might have even built the thing. Conceivably the valve cluster could have been produced in 1958 at the Elkhart plant and then shipped to Olds for assembly at a later date.

Anyway, I played that horn all over the world up until 1996 when I sold it to a young high school tuba player in Lakeland Florida. The reason that it is silver, is I had it completely overhauled in 1994 by a place in Chicago. When it came to the finish I opted to make it silver just because I had an extra two grand at the time. Hope this sheds some light on this horn's past.

Follow Ups: