Re: Lessons for performers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 10, 2002 at 16:32:56:

In Reply to: Lessons for performers posted by Joe Baker on December 10, 2002 at 14:01:02:

Here's another.

RULE 2: KNOW WHAT TO SAY WHEN SOMEONE COMPLIMENTS YOUR PERFORMANCE. On one occasion, a normally quite good church orchestra with which I used to play had a particularly rough morning. Really, really bad. I left the room wanting nothing more than to go hide in a corner. On my way out, a lady came up to me and sweetly told me that we'd done a wonderful job. My response was something like, "eh, could have been better". The conductor of the orchestra was standing close by, and heard my response. She caught me as I came by, took my arm, and said "Joe, I need to speak with you for a moment". We went into an empty office nearby, and she taught me a wonderful lesson. "Beauty is perception," she said, "and that lady perceived beauty, whether you and I did or not. When you tell her it wasn't so great, you change her perception, which diminishes her enjoyment. Furthermore, by disagreeing with her, you were telling her she doesn't know good music from bad. You insulted her!" "Well", I asked, "what SHOULD I say? I can't lie and tell her I thought it was good too. Even if I did, wouldn't that sound like bragging?" She smiled. "You missed the point entirely. She thanked you for a gift; the appropriate answer has nothing to do with what YOU thought of the performance. The appropriate answer is 'I'm so glad you enjoyed it'". To this day, that is the answer I give whenever someone compliments me on any performance. It has never seemed inappropriate.

Joe Baker, who had the rare privilege of playing for a truly gracious conductor in those days.

Follow Ups: