Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on December 06, 2002 at 11:50:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why posted by Rick Denney on December 06, 2002 at 09:29:57:

Rick,

I graduated from Holmes HS in 1983, met Ray at Solo and Ensemble Contest at Churchill HS while he was there supporting his private students, and hung around for two more years waiting tables to pay for my first tuba and taking classes at SAC. I come from what was a pretty violent gang neighborhood (and is now pretty quiet and safe) and had no money for school. So I did what a lot of poor SA kids do by going to SAC while working full time. I studied with Pete Kline and he changed a whle lot of things about my playing and my level of seriousness. Ray was kind enough to invite me to do the Christmas things, as well as some fun reading sessions in his home with around five or six other folks. He was not Band Directing at that time, if I recall. When he returned to teaching he had me judge the Drum Major thing.

I left for Basic Training in late July of 85. I came back on leave each Christmas for three years and saw the group playing each time. Maybe that is where I remember you from.

I studied with Mike (for only one summer - he does not even remember the six lessons from seventeen *sigh* years ago) before he moved, so it must have been when he lived on Argo. (I could not remember which address came first.)

I miss home.

Wade

Follow Ups: