Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 06, 2002 at 09:29:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: What horn for Tubachristmas and Why posted by Wade on December 05, 2002 at 23:29:28:

I think the Checker airport limo must have been before my time, because I certainly would remember that, heh, heh. Yes, I did a couple of the mall things with Ray. But I didn't move to San Antonio until 1987, so December of '87 was my first time with him. I was working for the City, and was able to secure the ground floor of the city-owned Main Plaza Building for rehearsal preceding a performance on Main Plaza. That was after the Luby's had closed and before the City Council moved their chambers into that space. That must have been in '89 through maybe '91. We formed the TubaMeisters in '92 when our quartet (previously the Lo-Down Brass) had been hired by Fiesta Texas, and since that time the TubaMeisters have sponsored the Christmas event.

I studied some with Mike when I still lived in Austin (it was Nottingham, but I'm floored that I remember that!). That was in perhaps '85 or '86.

Ray will probably blush at all this admiration, but what the heck.

I first met Ray when I showed up at the San Antonio Municipal Band rehearsal soon after moving there. He was sitting there playing duets out of the Sear book with Gene Vasconi (something Ray and I did together in later years). I could tell immediately that he had The Sound, something I have never had but I keep trying. I introduced myself, and he asked me if I brought my axe (I had left it in the car--I didn't know the entrance requirements into that group and did not want to presume). I played with the section that night, in my usual timid way--no sarcasm there--following my long-standing principle of Do No Harm. I nearly wilted when I realized during one section that he had quietly set down is horn and slipped behind me to listen. That was my audition and he demonstrated his one example of poor musical judgment by inviting me into the group. We became close friends and have remained so. He played a solo at my wedding two years ago, and I sold him my house when I moved away from San Antonio. There are few music educators with Ray's combination of integrity and quiet sensitivity, and those traits translate into his musicianship.

I miss those post-rehearsal conversations over chicken-fried steak (now a no-no for me), that would often extend out into the parking lot after the restaurant closed. Remember the 410 Diner?

Ray came to visit during the Army Tuba Conference last year, and I hope he can find a way to do it again this year.

Aw, heck. Now I'm really feeling nostalgic.

When did you move away from San Antonio?

Rick "who remembers his first (nearly disastrous) experience of conducting at one of those mall performances" Denney

Follow Ups: