Re: Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on December 05, 2002 at 18:17:15:

In Reply to: Re: Warning: Heresy! posted by To Joe TubaRay on December 05, 2002 at 15:49:34:

Thanks for the compliment, Wade. We have changed the way we are doing our events since you performed with us. We no longer play at multiple malls. Our event more closely resembles the actual TubaChristmas. I believe you are correct about those events becoming a business. I believe it was in 1988 that we did a "real" TubaChristmas. We were not able to break even. These days we charge a nominal fee(the City of San Antonio exacts a pretty hefty price for providing free music to the people on the barges) and provide every participant with a copy of the music in a booklet form that we put together ourselves. The emphasis is still on fun. I have been helping organize and perform the concerts since 1979(when I was 2 yrs. old)(ha,ha) and whenever they cease to be fun, that will be the last of my direct involvement.

Rick Denney was indeed part of this. He helped organize it for several years while he was in San Antonio. He is one of the reasons it has become as successful as it has been. I wish he were still here.

I'm not trying to make any money out of the situation, but if you or anyone else would like a copy of our book(12 tunes), I'd be happy to send them one. I believe our book better suits the situation. There are often very young players and always very little rehearsal time. Anyone who might want a copy just needs to send me enough dough to cover the postage. I would request being informed of any performances. If I am anywhere around I might try to come hear it.

I had completely forgotten about the press car. Those are some good memories. Thanks.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters

Follow Ups: