Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by To Joe TubaRay on December 05, 2002 at 15:49:34:

In Reply to: Warning: Heresy! posted by Joe Baker on December 05, 2002 at 13:51:42:

Joe:

Amen, Brother!!

I can't stand playing in the giant "Mudslide Ride" that some of these events have become in the last decade or so.

Some of them are very well run as "musical experiences" for the younger participants. When you get a good group together and they really try to do a good job it can be quite a lot of fun.

But the larger ones seem to be money making events where products are sold for a profit.

I looked into starting one here in Jackson in 1993 and was shocked by the amount of cash out of my own pocket that would be required to buy all of the music and merchandise, and how much I would have to sell in order to break even, pay two people to man the sales table, bring in a guest artist to conduct, etc. "TubaChristmas®" is a business (or it was at that time - maybe things have changed since I turned my back on it).

I used to just do my own arrangements and take a small group out to the malls. We rehearsed until it sounded good. Then we just went out and played and had a good time. NO MONEY EVER CHANGED HANDS. It seems to be better when it is not so damn "organized".

Euphonium and tuba players banding together to play Christmas tunes is a LOT of fun when it is JUST for fun. "TubaChristmas®" is infinately less fun for me. I realize that the vast majority of this community will disagree with my position, and that is fine with me as it is just my opinion. But it is comforting to see that at least a few feel as I do.

Joe, heretic or not, this was a long overdue post. Nice (and brave) job!!

My model for the way that I did my little gatherings was based on the way that Ray Grimm (aka TubaRay) did it in San Antonio.

Ray - if you read this post: you did an EXCELLENT job with your arrangements and your organizational skills. It was a real pleasure to play with you guys back in 1983 and 1984.

You really should make your "book" of music available to this board - I would buy a bunch of copies as I like them better than the "officially licensed" version from the Home Office. (Classical Gas is also quite a bit of fun to play, as I recall...)

Did Rick Denney play in that group? And who owned that excellent Checker Press Car (with like 8 doors!!!) that the ENTIRE group (plus instruments) rode around in from mall to mall?

Thanks for those great Yuletide memories, Ray!

Wade "sitting comfortably in my asbestos boxers waiting for the flames to engulf me" Rackley

Follow Ups: