professional dilemma

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by advice? on December 26, 2001 at 12:57:15:

Hello TubeNet.
You guys and girls are usually really good at advising, so I have a dilemma I need some guidance with.
I am currently a music student. I study with a terrific teacher. He has done so much for me and my playing. When I started my degree, i was apprehensive, simply because until that point I was indecisive with what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to give music a shot, so I did.
Now I've done a lot of soul-searching, and I have decided that teaching university tuba is not the career path that would make me feel self-actualized. I love to help people, and that is my goal in life. I realize teaching does that, but I want to pursue other endeavors and pursue teaching on a more part-time level.
My teacher has sacrificed a lot of time and faith in me, and I feel like I am letting him down. I am not going to quit, I am going to finish my Master's degree. I do however want to do it part time, and be able to concentrate extensively on private teaching and the like. When I graduate, I plan to continue grad school in another field. That being said, I still love the tuba, and I love playing it. I just don't want to do it for my career. It is more of an avocation.
I guess largely I am afraid of losing my teacher as a supporter and even somewhat as a friend. He was the first person to support me emotionally and to believe in me, so I wnt to be sure I approach this daunting task in the proper manner. Has anyone else been in this position or have any advice?
Thanks so much!

Follow Ups: