Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 25, 2001 at 20:52:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign posted by Frederick J. Young on December 25, 2001 at 18:44:55:

You're having me on! Are you really serious posting a statement like this?

"Those numerous players you mention get away with horrible intonation because it is not recognized by most musicians when listening to low notes."

Do you really believe this to be true??? I don't know what things were like in the orchestras that you have experience with but I can state categorically that this sort of thing doesn't happen in orchestras today. I have trouble believing it could have ever happened. Just taking into account the role of a tuba in an orchestra, there are any number of situations where a player playing that far out of tune would be spotted in a heartbeat. If a tuba player in an orchestra today played that far out of tune, it would be noticed by the bassoonists, the bassists, the lower hornists, and most of all the bass trombonist. If I played that far out of tune on any note, it would be next to impossible for the bass trombone player sitting right next to me to play anything at all. It would (and does) clash so badly, one of us would stop playing. Almost all of the time I'm playing in the orchestra (90% - 95%), one of the aforementioned instruments is playing nearly the same part as I am, either in unison or at the octave. You just can't play 20 cents out of tune in a situation like that, it would be immediately noticeable. Certainly the same difficulty must exist in a band situation because you would have (at least) more than one player in the tuba section playing identical parts 100% of the time.

I've said it before in my discussions with you and I'll say it again: please market an instrument based on your ideas. If it would be so good as you say, I'm sure you could at least break even on the project. There are some manufacturers out there actually turning a tidy profit. Join their ranks! The tuba community can benefit from a well made and great performing tuba. We're always looking at ways to upgrade our equipment and performance level. But I implore you to stop needlessly disparaging the players and equipment that have brought us to this point. I'm positive that your extensive understanding of brass instruments could be put to much better use if players were actually willing to try what you eventually produce. I don't imagine you'll have many takers when you first tell them that they currently get away with "horrible intonation" just because nobody notices. I know that comment sure rubbed me the wrong way.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: