Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with high register please!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Elliott on December 08, 2001 at 23:32:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Help with high register please! posted by Jay Bertolet on December 08, 2001 at 17:08:52:

That tipping or tilting motion, on other brass instruments manifests itself as an angle change, or "waving the horn in the breeze" as Reinhardt used to say. That was NOT his "pivot", although his earliest books, from the early 40's, might lead some people to think that.
The pivot that he taught is a slight change in the position of the LIPS against the TEETH, which looks on the outside like the mouthpiece being closer to the nose or farther away. The high range is one direction and the low range is the opposite. Some players play high range closer to the nose, and therefore low range away from the nose; but some play it the oppsite way: high range is toward the chin and low range is toward the nose. That is why the same things don't work for everyone.
I happen to think that it's important to understand how your embouchure works. I have seen many cases of players losing their chops, and even being diagnosed with medical problems, when it looks to me more like years of incorrect mechanics that eventually break down. Ignorance doesn't fix anything.

Follow Ups: