Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. No. 2 on December 08, 2001 at 10:50:58:

In Reply to: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ? posted by Newbe on December 07, 2001 at 18:30:25:

Hey Newbe, I was like you not to long ago. I now have a sousaphone and two tubas but I am a collecter of musical toys. There is one piece of advice that was not given to you. Look for the sound that you want. As you have not been playing, that means find a tuba playing friend to help you shop. He/She can play them and you can listen. The looks, number of valves, placement of valves, which way the bell points don't mean a thing if you dont' want to swing. I selected my cello this way. I now know that any problem I have with my sound is my own. In the right hands my cello is fantastic, my hands will someday meet the challenge. In your case it is the lips.
So as to the lips, you can buy a mouth piece and start buzzing on it. Most of these people have several mouth pieces. I have six, most used. I carry one with me so I can buzz during my down times on the job. Used ones can be found for very little money.
Good Luck with your return to music, Joe (started the cello at 45) S.

Follow Ups: