Re: Is there a Gap?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on December 22, 2000 at 21:01:52:

In Reply to: Is there a Gap? posted by Mark in Ohio on December 22, 2000 at 13:30:25:

Mark,
When we talk about a gap in the receiver, we are talking about a space between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the beginning of the leadpipe (which typically begins an outward flair). If you unsolder the receiver and insert a mouthpiece, you can measure that distance from the end of the shank to the leadpipe end of the receiver. Measure how far the leadpipe sticks in the receiver, then subtract. The difference is: the gap.
It is possible to not feel a break betwwen the leadpipe and the receiver and yet have a gap. What you were reaching for is typically considered just poor workmanship. With trumpet players however, we will pull out the receiver to give a player quicker articulation if that is what they want. That process creates a larger gap while indeed creating a physical cavity inside the receiver area.
Your question was basically "Why do different manufacturers use different or no gaps?" To create a different responsive characteristic to their horns. A Chevy drives different from a Ford. Take something like an old Alexander or Rudy Meinl that has a sleeve (not really a receiver) that is fit over the leadpipe. The leadpipe tube is then expanded out to fit the sleeve, then soldered. Driving one of those babies off an old pipe can be work. With a sleeve set up (like French horns), you never get a straight section after the end of the mouthpiece shank before you start expaning into the leadpipe.
How a gap works is like a fulcrum point. It is easier to balance a pencil on your finger than it is to balance a pencil on the edge of a razor. Tubas with no gap (fulcum point) have great slurrs due to instablity. However, they can be a bit wooffy in the attacks and require heavier articulation from the player. Increase the gap, and the articulaion becomes more reponsive. Too much gap (fulcrum point) and the horn doesn't want to let you slurr smoothly from note to note. Can a French horn slurr or what?! No gap inside that mpc sleeve makes slurrs easier for them. There are other factors which can do these same things, but it is easer to design a horn from the bell back. Then you can make a simple change at the receiver end to affect response.
Now you know a little bit about what my tuba customers enjoy when they come shoppng tubas with me. A logical approach to picking a horn that matches their natural playing style. The right horn will pick you!! Sometimes we just don't have a match and I'll thank you for giving e a chance at your business, but maybe you should try a different make or model. Hwever, that last 2-3% we can usually modify into the horn for you. This is why every time someone on this list asks what is the best horn that I should buy, I cringe because they just need to play the horns for themselves.
I've said to much. I'll shut up now.
Matt

Follow Ups: