More orchestral questions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SirC on December 15, 2000 at 01:51:17:

Thanks for the replies on my other questions...

Here are a few more...

I am trying to figure out about sounds, timbre if you like...

Should we as tuba players sound like the bottom voice of, say, BoyzIIMen (for lack of a better recognizable example) or more cutting like the bass voice of Sha-Na-Na? I know, I know, these are unorthodox examples, but these are the two that I have in my head right now. Basically, I am wondering if our timbre should be expansive, or well, more soloist...does that make any sense?

We are always told to "drop our jaw" as we get lower, and louder, is there a point when it is too much? Obviously there is a point when it is ridiculous, but I think it can affect your tuning?

AUDITION QUESTION...
In a recent audition, I had to play the peasant with bear solo from Petrouchka, and I think that I started on the wrong partial. I played it through anyway, and believe it or don't, it sounded correct interval-wise, but I was pretty sure I overshot it. I just hoped no one behind the screen had perfect pitch! I had just finished playing an excerpt, and I had started with the Concerto so I didn't play any notes when I sat in the audition chair. Here is the question, is it okay to play a couple of notes AFTER you have played a couple of excerpts? When changing horns? Are committees more impressed if you can just pick it out of the air? Obviously, if you play a couple of notes first, and then play it right, it is better than playing no notes and playing it wrong...but what does a committee usually think? Does it vary?

I am coming to believe that I may be playing my F incorrectly. More like a CC. Do we as orchestral tubas, need to keep a more soloist tone when we play in orchestra? How about in auditions? Or do we want to strive for the dark sound of a classic orchestral CC when we play F orchestra pieces. Of course, if you are blending with the bones or horns, I can see where being more light would be an advantage, but is there a time when that darker tone is more appropriate?

Sorry for all the questions, but these are the things you think about when you are trying to get "it" right.

SirC

Follow Ups: