Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More orchestral questions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 18, 2000 at 14:11:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: More orchestral questions... posted by Aubrey Foard on December 16, 2000 at 21:50:51:

Aubrey, don't stop with your postings. I might suggest, however, a strategy that will tell your readers whence you come for each bit of advice you impart. I'm not saying this just for your benefit (you don't really need correction from me!), but for everyone's edification, coming from a person highly experienced in Internet discussion groups ranging from those devoted to hobbies (like this one is for me) to those infused with professional competition and contention.

When I post something I learned from my teacher, I attribute it to that teacher. For example, when I talked about focusing an air stream through the mouthpiece, I attributed that information to what I had gleaned from a lesson with Mike Sanders many years ago. It helped in two ways: 1.) Anybody who's heard me play will know that I'm no authority, and 2.) it gave the information far more credibility. After all, most folks here only know me through what I say, not how I play. If I'm not sure I'm remembering right, or if I'm not sure the advice is that good, I'll just say "my teacher" or "an old teacher." If I think the advice was brilliant, then I'll give credit where it is due.

When I post a theory, I call it a theory. You see this frequently from many posters. "I have this idea that... and I wonder what others think." If the idea turns out to be stupid, those who provide correction do so gently. When you receive as much correction as I do, you need all the gentleness you can get.

Finally, when I can say something authoritatively, based on my own certain knowledge and experience, then I'll do so and let the chips fall where they may. But I avoid using authoritative language if I'm not personally ready to defend that knowledge.

As for anonymous flames, well, those derive just the respect they deserve (and no more). Don't worry about them.

Rick "hopefully with a humble spirit" Denney

Follow Ups: