Re: Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Oberheu on December 12, 1999 at 19:48:54:

In Reply to: Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 15:24:11:

Once I decided to do music, I got my own tuba...a BBb. It was a PT-1 and a great horn. I LOVED it! I wasn't that serious or tuba-smart then. However, once I did get serious, I practiced a lot and got pretty good on the BBb. Hell, I even did the Vaughan-Williams on it (which I'll NEVER do again!). My teacher talked to me about switching to CC and even maybe picking up an F tuba to go along with it. I declined for a long time...3 years to be exact. I was perfectly happy on my BBb.

When I started considering switching to CC, I asked lots of questions and played other guys' horns quite a bit and had them listen to me. It was not a teacher pushing me that made me switch, it was the fact that I thought I sounded better and could play better on a CC...the other guys agreed with me. I was the one that made the decision based on the fact that I was CONVINCED I had found a better instrument than anything else I was looking at.

My point in all this rambling...don't feel like you're being pushed to switch to CC _simply_ because everyone else is doing it. Play on lots of them...but take care to not get intimidated by the unfamiliarity, that fixes itself with time. Pay attention to things like intonation, how the horn responds, can you make some GREAT music on this horn, etc. Do the same thing with BBb's, side-by-side with the CC's. Don't make up your mind on just one trip either. The horn you honestly like the most will sell itself to you, be it BBb or CC, NOT the salesman standing there. Tell him to leave you alone if you want, you have that right. Take someone whose ears you trust with you. Whatever you find out to be true, THAT'S what you go with...not just stuff you've heard "about" from everywhere else.

Follow Ups: