Re: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 15:24:11:

In Reply to: Advantage of CC tuba over anything else posted by T on December 12, 1999 at 00:40:13:

Ok, here's the thing...

I learned to play Tuba on a BBb
I have ONLY ever had access to a BBb tuba since that is what all of the schools buy

I agree that it is MOSTLY the player and not always the equipment...but we all know your choice of tubas can make a huge difference in the way you play.

I enjoy playing tuba period. I have always played with others that were on BBb horn with very few exceptions, and I have grown fond of the BBb tuba sound, but I continue to find more and more tuba players on CC horns.

I a interested in purchasing my own tuba now, and I want to play on it all the way through college, where I plan to minor in tuba performance.

I don't want to by a BBb that I KNOW I PERSONALLY can play well if the professor would rather I play a CC or some other key of tuba. I know there are some of you out there that have used BBb in college---were you asked to switch to a different type of tuba?

Several close friends of mine hit the college level and were switched to CC tubas by their instructors.

Blah, blah, blah,yada, yada, yada

I have contacted several tuba professors at colleges I am looking into, and I await responses. Other than wait for an opinion from a professor at a college I would like to attend, what else should I do?

The bottom line comes down to one thing: I don't want to purchase a tuba that isn't in the key that is recommended to me for by the college I want to attend.

I really am attached to my BBb tubas because over the years that is all I have played, and I am very familiar with them.

What is your opinion on purchasing a BBb because I like them and am familiar with them over a CC horn because that is what THEY usually want tuba players in college to use?

If your reading this right here, you made it through all of my garbage to get here! Wow!

Follow Ups: