Re: Re: Ketchup?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on September 01, 2003 at 13:21:26:

In Reply to: Re: Ketchup? posted by Lee Stofer on September 01, 2003 at 11:12:08:

Lee.
Actually, I heard about it from an old Army guy. He plays a old raw brass Cuesnon and swears by the ketchup treatment. Just for kicks I went to the Dollar Store yesterday and bought two large bottles of generic ketchup for about $3 and slathered it all over the old Carl Wunderlich BBb 4V I swapped for a couple of months ago. The horn had HEAVY patina and this old Army friend of mine suggested the Ketchup treatment. It worked very well getting rid of the patina but the next problem was getting rid of the ketchup! Plenty of dishwashing liquid and hot water cleaned it up pretty good but it took two cans of Lysol spray to get the smell out of the house! (I did it in the bathtub). I think maybe old Bill's olfactory organs aren't quite up to snuff... so to speak. Anyway, it was an interesting experiment but not one I will repeat soon. I think maybe the salt and vinegar with a little bit of flour to stiffen it up a bit may be my next trial. On the other hand, maybe it was the cheap Dollar Store ketchup. Think DelMonte or Hunts would work better?
Dan

Follow Ups: