Re: Re: Re: Multi-track Recording

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on August 19, 2003 at 14:41:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Multi-track Recording posted by dave on August 19, 2003 at 01:12:18:

Well, that was kind of the point....I just want to record live, not do the studio thing with a lot of tracks.

Have you looked into Cool Edit? If I had a computer at home that was any good, I'd buy the $69 version of Cool Edit, xfer the digital data from the CD on to the hard drive, and take it from there.

I thought of doing the straight-to-laptop thing, but Rick Denney pointed out that laptops have a cooling fan...and would have to be in a different room from the mike, so I didn't do that. They have boards now with built-in hard drives and effects, and even built-in CD writers, so you wouldn't even need that computer unless you wanted to utilzed some really snazzy software.

Since I'm not planning to add effects or synthesized instruments, I only would need a sound card to hear playback through the computer, and I'm not sure how all that would work. What I got is in the "KISS" category (keep it simple, stupid..) because altho I mess with a computer all day at work, more messing is not my idea of a good time when I'm home. I just wanted to listen, push buttons, and get an end product.

Yes I plan to do two things: record without the preamp, using just the mike and the CD writer, and if I can't hear a difference...the preamp goes back, on the 30 day guarantee.

I, ah, lost the MD and the AT822 in the divorce a couple years ago, and have been recorder-less during that time, except for occasional borrowing. So it will be kind of difficult to try the preamp with that setup, unless I borrow it again, which is personally complex.

MA

Follow Ups: