Re: PT 15

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pre-PT BS F tubas.. on August 18, 2003 at 21:14:34:

In Reply to: PT 15 posted by IA Tubist on August 18, 2003 at 16:53:00:

My opinion on this is only my own and quite a few will disagree, so accept my opinion with a grain of salt:

These instruments (your PT-15) were made larger in their mouthpipes and first three rotors' bore sizes (at the suggestion of Dan Perantoni and Bob Tucci?) in the early 1980's. The original model (still available today) was set up like this:

B&S F-Tuba 3100 [NOT "PT"]

6 rotary valves (4+2), graduated bore: 17-21mm (0.669-0.827"), bell diameter: 420mm (16-1/2"), height: 97cm (38")

Notice, the first (called "5th") rotor's bore is only .669" on the "original" model 3100 B&S 6V F tuba, whereas your "PT" version starts off with a bore size of .748" The mouthpipe taper on the "PT" version is also much larger and more widely flaired.

At that time (early '80's) and perhaps still today, many folks assumed that a "great big ol' bore" on these instruments would assist their already-quite-good "funky" register (most agree: from Db below the staff down to B natural). Actually, the premature larger bore sizes in this instrument's PT version reduced resistance [see other recent threads] and caused those pitches to become even more unstable. The proper balance of resistance is a TREMENDOUS aid in focus and control when playing wind instruments.

I am not a name-dropper, but very recently an extremely prominent tuba player (who has owned his "PT" B&S F for about as long as I've owned my "non-PT" B&S F) bitched once again to me about his "PT" F tuba buggin' the crap out of him. I reminded him that years ago I had played his F tuba and remarked at that time that I did not care for his - just as he did not care for it. He then asked to play my "non-PT" F and tried out that very critical passage at the end of the John Williams - Tuba Concerto (with the low B naturals). On my so-called smaller bore instrument, the B naturals popped right out for him - loud and clear...and FOCUSED.

I'm not telling you that my "non-PT" B&S F plays itself. Just like any tuba (or other instrument), one has to PRACTICE and be COMFORTABLE with an instrument's characteristics in order to execute predicatably. However, an instrument's resistance must be balanced in order to maximize its playing characteristics. To go one further, I would say that (as an extreme example) the Meinl Weston SLP (B&S F tuba "knock-off") is an even more exaggerated example of this. The valve section bore and mouthpipe on this instrument are SO oversized that the instrument is TOTALLY out-of-balance, resistance-wise. The MW SLP F tubas play the "fundamental" F GREAT, but that "tricky" range is unstable and the high range is weak and lacks tonal color. Again, MY opinions...However, I think you will notice that there are always several MW SLP F tubas for sale.

I was tempted not to post, since I knew that my post would be extremely opinionated (and long), that few have ever played a "non PT" B&S F (and several surely will be defensive of their "PT" F tubas), and that my post will almost certainly not help solve your problems. On the other hand, you have decades upon decades of your tuba journey ahead of you. Your experience with your PT-15 will shape your future ideas about what to look for and what not to look for as far as playing characteristics of tubas you might purchase in the future.

Follow Ups: