Re: College auditions-Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on August 16, 2003 at 02:29:12:

In Reply to: College auditions-Euphonium posted by R on August 11, 2003 at 23:16:56:

At IU, there are three bands during the regular school year. The wind ensemble is the top band and just recently (March, okay not real recent) played at the CBDNA concert in Minnesota on the grand finale concert. I'd be more than happy to send you a copy of comments received by our director, Ray Cramer. Fennell even conducted us on Toccata Marziale and The Melody Shop. We premiered new pieces by Donald Grantham and Michael Torke in the past year. Ron Nelson is writing one for the upcoming year and the wind ensemble will perform at Mid-West in Chicago as well. You'll definitely play through a lot of rep!
IU doesn't have a whole lot of euphoniums compared to other studios, which means more performing opportunities. There is also the chance to play with the Harvey Phillips TubaCompany and TubaSantas.
If you're wanting to audition for Mr. P, all he will ask is that whatever you play, play it as well as possible. His studio has already filled-up for the year, so you really need to get in touch with him early. M. Dee Stewart also teaches euphonium.
I can't speak knowledgably about Ohio, but I've only heard good things. Just spend as much time as possible at both schools and decide for yourself. I can also put you in touch with a friend (Euhpnoium player) who just finished his masters degree with Mr.P if you'd like. Just e-mail me off the list.
Happy hunting!

Follow Ups: