College auditions-Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by R on August 11, 2003 at 23:16:56:

I have some questions about college audtions. I'm applying to Ohio State and Indiana U. Bloomington. My main factor is the performance level of the large ensembles. I want to play in an excellent, challenging band even if it's not the top one. In that aspect, what do you all think about these schools? Do the ensembles tear through repertoire or should I expect to have a few pieces (about 10) per semester? How many undergrad euphoniumists audtion each year and for how many spots? Are Bride of the Waves and Morceau Symphonique overplayed for auditions and thus a bad idea? I'm thinking of playing Pantomime. Fingering technique and range aren't much of problems for me. Still, is there anything I should be weary of? Perhaps any specific things that the judges are looking for. (Does anyone have a copy of Pantomime or a recording to post on the net? Please?) Am I doomed for IU and OSU if I don't have an instructor? What if I get one for the next 4 months? Do the judges take it easier on you if you've made all state? Please respond. Thanks.

Follow Ups: