Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Relaquer/Refinish my old valve/tenor bon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on August 15, 2003 at 12:00:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Relaquer/Refinish my old valve/tenor bon posted by Word of caution on August 15, 2003 at 10:47:40:

I agree that thick lacquer will dampen an instrument's acoustics. Lacquer is primarily for preventing air contact with the polished brass finish and does not have to be thick.

In my earlier post, by "paint shop," I meant an automotive finish supplier for body shops (where you go to buy buckets of "paint"), and not a collision shop. Certainly, there are a lot of great (and likely hungry) artists doing designs for guitars. I also like what I've seen motorcycle customizers do, also. However, I haven't seen their work on brass instruments.

Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works, Seattle, has an excellent site detailing the steps in tuba overhaul. The link takes you to the polishing and lacquering stages. There are lots of graphics, so broadband viewing is recommended.

I don't recommend spraying outside, however. Outside spraying will attract too many insects and too much dust to the wet lacquer.

Follow Ups: