Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: other music style preference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 14, 2003 at 18:02:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Poll: other music style preference posted by Joe Baker on August 14, 2003 at 12:59:19:

Joe, I think you'd be surprised at just how popular rap is among the 20-ish crowd. I personally cannot fathom how an otherwise responsible and friendly kid can like music that promotes what we agree is violent and criminal behavior, but I see it frequently. On the other hand, I enjoyed music of Jimi Hendrix and a host of 60's and 70's era rockers whose music and lyrics affected our parents the same way that rap affects us. In my case, I didn't really hear the words; I just liked the music (at least at the time). Listening to it didn't constitute agreement. I seem to have lost the ability to be so detached.

As to the question at hand, I have to say that I like all good music, and have enjoyed examples of all styles and genres--except rap. I just haven't found any resonance there for me; not musically, and I've gotten past the point where I can listen to offensive words being shouted at me and ignore their meaning.

Rick "who has a little bit of everything in his collection" Denney

Follow Ups: