Re: tuba musical performance - pet peeve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 03, 2002 at 04:50:02:

In Reply to: tuba musical performance - pet peeve posted by js on August 31, 2002 at 18:15:09:

Let me just start off by saying that there is a strong devision off sides between musicians :

The method musician, who plays every note and every marking perfectly without flaw, he believes that music good music is technical perfection in sound.

The artform musician, who plays every note with as much emotion as he can possibly consieve, he believs that good music is exquisit expression in sound.

I can see the point to both of these approaches and understand their strengths and weaknesses. However, striving for one means lacking in the other

Yet, I must confess my digust for many peoples musical opinions on how a note should be played in general, or how certain rythmes should be played, or how to properly play phrases musically. Saying that an eigth note should be played a softer following certain other notes, or that an ascending phrase should be played with an increase in volume as it rises is crap musicianship. Nothing should ever be done the same way. This is the beauty of music! Notes should be played however you bloody well want them for any given piece. Playing notes a certain way for all pieces is basically just playing the same piece
with a different title. Because thats all that changes if your approach to a piece doesn't.
I can, however, understand the reason for teaching the above mention methods, but they application is on more of a "beginers" level. These things -notes a certain way, phrasing a certain way ect- should be taught to begin with to show a student structure and give them something to build from. They should be part of the basis on which they learn. But they should not be adopted as permanent methods of playing. They should be learned for what they are:another method of doing things. Considering there are millions of great musicians all over the earth who each have their own way of doing things, it goes without saying that there are millions of ways of doing things. Finding as many as methods as you can to allowing your music to grow in strength, complexity, beauty and expression is what every musician should be doing. NEVER STOP LEARNING, BECAUSE LEARNING IS NEVER DONE. Even if you are a 50 year old violin master who can play anything at all in the entire earth at sight perfectly in all ways, you can still learn more.

If someone wants to blat a note, unless they did this by accident, either go and verbally/ physicall attack them, or just live with it. It is their way, there is no right way of doing things, the "right way" is a lie and does not exist.

All that said and done, all are entitled to a unique and individual view of how thing are, pay no attention to anything i say.

Follow Ups: