Re: Re: Re: Re: tuba musical performance - pet peeve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 02, 2002 at 08:26:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: tuba musical performance - pet peeve posted by Rick Denney on September 01, 2002 at 17:19:38:

This was my initial thought as well. So many players develop a different embouchure for playing notes in the low range that the sound can do nothing but change when you go down there. I include myself in this as well. The concept of keeping the same embouchure in all ranges is something I was never exposed to in my studies and had to learn out here, "in the field". By keeping the same embouchure for all ranges, you at least have a chance of having the same quality of sound in all ranges. Admittedly, if you try this today for the first time, you will find that the lower range is not nearly as strong for you as it is with the changed embouchure. If you stick with it and work on playing with the same embouchure, the sound does improve. For me it improved to the point that my low range was stronger, had a sound consistent with my sound in other ranges, was better in tune, and it gave the flexibility that I have in any other range (such as it is).

I would also point out that many players, myself included, were taught that the lower the notes, the less they project. To maintain a consistent dynamic, low notes have to be pushed more to compensate for their lack of projection. It is certainly conceivable that a player could be overcompensating in this range, causing the "blatt" mentioned. Simply recording a performance or having good ears listen to a runthrough should reveal the problem to the player.

The bottom line is that EVERYTHING we do should be musical. That's how the greats approach their craft on any instrument. If a player is doing things "because they can", with no regard for the musical impact, it isn't a performance I'm going to listen to.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: