Re: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Pat again on August 15, 2002 at 10:01:10:

In Reply to: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba? posted by Pat on August 12, 2002 at 13:10:06:

Just want to throw in a few facts about myself for the heck of it. I started in 3rd grade with the clarinet. Played 1 year in Jr High with the oboe. Next school had no oboe and way to many clarinets so I learned saxophone. These are all treble clef and transposed where necessary. I have a jewelry box at home loaded up with music awards I received while in high school. Gold medals for state competition, outstanding musicians award etc. I have always been very poor at memorizing anything. Not just music. I memorized all the solos for competitions by playing them 50 thousand times. Sight-reading has never been one of my strengths either. I was accepted into the 98th Army Band right out of high school without going through the school of music. Played professionally in a dance band after that for several years. I now just play for fun. I still have to stop sometimes and think where a G, for instance, is on the treble clef staff. I would have to think C on the bass clef and count up from there to tell where a G lies on the bass clef. When I see music with more than one part on the staff I have a terrible problem picking out one part from the other. I am 54 now and am teaching myself the tuba. Started with and Eflat, wrote all the fingerings on the music till I finally got where I could get them without it. Now I'm learning BBflat and I am using the same method. I have discovered it does no good at all while playing with this method. I look at the fingering and not the note. I seem to learn them as I write them down. As soon as I seem to be able to write them down without constantly looking them up, I find myself not needing them to play either.

I think I must have musical dyslexia(sp?). I have learned to live with my problem, if there is indeed one, and love to play good music with whatever it takes. I am in complete awe of anyone who can play piano or transpose music on the fly.

Follow Ups: