Re: Re: Perantoni vs. Bobo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on August 06, 2002 at 18:10:40:

In Reply to: Re: Perantoni vs. Bobo posted by John on August 06, 2002 at 16:58:09:

I agree. mostly with the clarification of what is and is not a "song", but also with the advice to get as many recordings as possible (by competent artists) of a work you are approaching for the 1st time. I've often commented that if you could cut and paste these two interpretations, you'd have a near-perfect rendition. Of course, there are some things I'd do which neither of these great musicians did on their recordings. But those decisions were made AFTER I mastered the black and white (or black and off-white) and after I heard many different recorded and live performances.

As to Daniel in the Lions' Den, I listen to that one every now and again, and am constantly amazed at how different it can seem as my own musicianship develops. It's worth the purchase and repeated listenings, as is the re-released colletion "Perantoni plays Perantoni", which features a lost classic in the George Sonata. Why don't more tubists play that work? Of course, if Bobo even recorded a gastronomic noise it would probably be more artistic and devoted than my practice tapes..........

Follow Ups: