Re: best valve oil

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 29, 2001 at 12:22:48:

In Reply to: best valve oil posted by Brad on August 29, 2001 at 11:34:56:

1. I use BiNaK on my York Master, but it doesn't work as well on my Yamaha F tuba, where I use Ali-Syn. I use Hetman's Classic on the Besson euphonium which has worn pistons. The point here is use what works. For a new horn, I'd be tempted to use a cheap kerosene-based valve oil so that I can use lots of it and apply it often. This is important during break-in.

2. I use light lithium grease to lubricate slides that I move a lot during play, and heavier slide grease for slides that need to stay put. Others use STP Oil Treatment with good success. And lanolin is the old standby, but I find it just too stiff.

3. You should not mix synthetic and oil-based valve oils, because the synthetics can often get gummy when mixed with oil-based products. But I've never had problems with slide grease mixing with the valve oil, though I've heard of others have the problem. I tend to apply slide grease sparingly so avoid it piling up on the end of the slide and getting in the way of the sound, and the synthetic valve oils are always applied sparingly, too. If neither are water soluble, then condensation won't carry them from one place to the other.

Rick "who is getting ready to try Space Filler on his old euphonium valves" Denney

Follow Ups: